I picked up my package of bees on the way home from work this morning. Above is my package, and below is them in my car.
After I got the syrup ready I tried to move them into the hive my cousin Jay gave me. I managed to get about half the bees in the hive and then finally found the queen “cage”. It was actually more of a box. I took the cork out like the books say expecting a candy plug, but what I assume was the queen rapidly flew out. I dearly hope she found her way to the hive. I tried to convince the rest of the bees to move to the hive, but many stayed in the box. I put the hive together but then was worried that the entrance feeder did not seem to be working. So then I opened up the hive again and set up a baggie feeder as well. Here is everything set up in our orchard.
I watched them periodically through the afternoon as I was sitting in the sun and reading one of the bee books Jay gave me. As the day progressed the bees did gradually move into the hive with very few left outside. So I am thinking it was a success. We will know for sure in a week. Wish me luck in my bee keeping adventure.