We have been quite busy recently. Yesterday we butchered three of the roosters. This was planned a while ago before our recent losses but should help the rooster to hen ratio in our barnyard. Two of the chickens were 6.5 pounds after processing, and the other one was 5.5 pounds.
I had to find a recipe to cook such a large bird. The recipes I have save are usually for a 3-4 pound bird. I found a couple that went up to 5#. So Tom found Perfect Roast Chicken for a 5-6 pound chicken so we went with that. We did not have a fennel bulb so skipped that. It cooked quicker than the recipe stated but came out great. It was paired with mashed potatoes, steamed peas from our garden and our perry.
Today I decided to milk our goat Gertie with her pseudopregnancy. I got about 3/4 of a quart of milk. As she has never been pregnant, milking her was a chore but we survived. Now I will see if she continues to produce milk or not. I am hoping for some chevre.
Our hens continue to produce eggs and keeping our produce stand customers happy.
Tom has started picking apples and will be starting to press cider soon. We have been picking blueberries, eating some and freezing the rest. We have been eating the raspberries off the vines and the golden egg plums off the tree. Today I picked 8 pounds of blackberries and have started a batch of wine. I got to less than half of our blackberry vines with 2 hours of picking so have plenty more if I can find the time.
For veggies we continue to pick the peas and green beans, eating some and freezing the rest. We have been digging up potatoes as we need them. I found and picked a couple of zucchinis today for a salad.
For herbs we have been picking and using basil, rosemary, thyme, tarragon and sage.
In addition I have washed a couple of wool fleece and need to dye yarn for Fiber Day. So we have been quite busy.