Growing Up

I was actually able to plant my pathetic tomato starts in the hothouse.  They are still small but at least growing still.

I heard a turkey gobble for the first time the other day.

Unfortunately I could not capture it on video. But it appears we have three males and one female White Midget turkeys.  This is not good news for peace on the farm.

I notice that the dogwood in our front yard is blooming and looking quite pretty.

The pigs continue to grow.  I noticed that Starsky’s tail curls to the right and Hutch’s curls to the left.

I have been watching the Mariners, including the brawl with the Angels.  It was clearly pre-planned by the Angels.  It is a shame that these professional baseball can behave so poorly especially in front of young fans.

Summer weather has arrived with a vengeance.  It is limiting what I can do in the afternoons and evenings.

With the warm weather, I was able to wash another fleece.  This is Wendel’s fleece from 2018.  I have been long contemplating what to do with this gorgeous fleece.  As he gets older, his fleeces are not as nice.  I finally decided that I will spin it and make a long cardigan using the neck fibers toward the top, the trunk fibers in the middle and the britch fibers toward the bottom.  So the first step was washing the fleece.

The grass continues to grow like crazy.  You can barely see the sheep.

Rory continues to develop. He is getting feisty.

The grass in our back forty is insanely tall. It is more than twice as tall as our cows!


Our beagle continues to mature. We have noticed that she has stopped chewing up our clothing and rugs.  For some reason, the only animals we have that she is upset about is the peafowl.  I am not sure why, but she continues to howl at them.

The roses are blooming.  I noticed a bee pollinating one of them.

Our first Peace Rose bloom of the season.  How gorgeous!

These birds showed up while I was mowing one of our fields.  Unfortunately the photos are not great.  But I am not sure that I have seen these birds here before.

The garden is sure growing, finally.  The peas are blooming, but also have pods that are almost ready to pick.    I am letting some of the radishes go to seed.  I also planted some flax seeds from Sweden in my garden this year.  The blooms of these plants are quite pretty together.

So these are the plants and animals that are growing up on our farm, while the humans do not seem to be.

Posted in Farm | 1 Comment

Sheep Shearing and Funky Food from the 1950s!

I finished shearing the last of our sheep today.  This is Hazelnut.  I wanted to get the sheep sheared before the hot weather predicted this weekend.  But my disabling symptoms from Covid-19 slowed me down.  But I got it done despite my ongoing fatigue and weakness.  So I am proud of me pushing through and getting it done.  Although Hazelnut doesn’t appreciate it, he will this weekend.

The original turkeys like to roost on this log for some reason.

I continue to be fascinated by our chicks growing up.

As I have previously mentioned I participate in a monthly historical cooking zoom called A Taste of Old Colony History.  This month was Funky Food from the 1950s!  The first recipe I tried was the Perfection Salad.  I do not have a jello mold and didn’t feel like purchasing one so I used a bundt cake pan I have.  I sprayed it with olive oil.  Here is the gelatin mix going into the pan to be refrigerated.

And here it is unmolded.  I had taken a slice out to taste test for the zoom.   I liked it.  It is like coleslaw in jello.  But the museum’s staff did not like it.

Then I made the Franko Snacks.  I first had to assemble the ingredients.  I have never bought Velvetta before and hadn’t realized it is on the shelf, in the cracker aisle!

Here is it all cooked up.  I did 1/3 with peanuts, 1/3 with oregano and 1/3 with garlic salt.

It was good.  I really couldn’t appreciate much difference between the flavors, but it was fun to eat.  I learned that if you freeze the velvetta first, it is easier to shred.  It ended up being blobs for me.  The corn muffin mix I bought was pretty sweet so I might choose one less sweet one next time.  Here is the video of her making the recipes (at the end are more of the humorous salad reactions).  So this was our funky dinner tonight on the back porch which was fun.  (Tom wouldn’t try the salad, of course.)

During the zoom, she also made a Sea Breeze cocktail.  I believe she said 6 tablespoons each of cranberry and grapefruit juices and 1.5 ounces of vodka so that is what I did.  This recipe has different ratios, which I might try.  I did not have grapefruit juice so used fresh squeezed orange juice instead.  It was tasty.


Posted in Farm, Historic recipes | 2 Comments

Turkeys and Bamboo

So, on Saturday I headed to Anacortes to purchase some turkey poults.  I drove via Bayview where the tide was quite low.

I bought three Narragansett turkey poults to replace the two poults that we lost to eagles (plus one extra, just in case).  I had the beagle with me, and she was very curious about them on the ride home.

And when I got them settled in a rabbit hutch in the barn (because the existing turkeys and  chicken chicks immediately attacked them), the young peacock was also curious about them.

Here they are in their hutch.  They seem to be doing well.

Today I cut down some bamboo in the orchard that was crowding out some of our fruit trees.  They went to the sheep and goats for trimming.

They will supplement the older bamboo bean poles in the garden.

Posted in Farm | 8 Comments