We were away for a few days. I will post about that soon once I get the umpteen photos situated. But I thought I would post about the work today after we got back. One thing about a farm is there is always plenty to do, and more so when you left for a few days.
The first project was related to the turkey poults getting big and needing to move out of the chick pen. But for this we needed to revamp the “pheasant pen”. It was pretty janky with many quirky repairs and needing taller fencing and new posts. Tom got to work on this.
I cleaned out the “grampa shed” which is the shelter for this pen and put in new shavings. I then decided to shear Jet. I was waiting for the weather to warm to shear the old thin sheep. But she was breathing fast in the warm weather today so I thought she would benefit from having less black wool.
Once the panels and posts were up, I added colorful string above the pen to discourage the eagles. I then caught the turkeys into a crate and moved them to their new home. They were initially pretty unsure.
The chicks were cheeping like they missed the turkeys. They are growing up fast.
In the meantime the turkeys started venturing out of the crate into they new home.
Here is the view of their new pen with the eagle-scaring strings and the grampa shed.
They are starting to find their new shelter.
The pigs have grown some too since we were gone. They are so cute!
It started to rain later in the afternoon. The turkeys did find their way into the shed so we are off to a good start. This was a busy day of farm catch-up for taking a few days off. I didn’t get as much done as I had hoped. I was able to check the bee hive but didn’t get much gardening done. It is always a matter of dealing with the most urgent problem first and other chores fall down the list.
June 2 update: An eagle got through my netting and killed one of our turkeys. Steve almost got the eagle when it landed with it. Tom reinforced the netting. Hopefully this will work. We are really upset about this loss.