Day at the Emergency Veterinary Clinic

We spent a large portion of the day experiencing the drama of an Emergency Veterinary Clinic on a busy Sunday. Rocky, our beagle, has been sick for a couple of days with lack of energy and appetite. Then overnight he developed reddish diarrhea and fever so we brought him in. It was 4 hours total and he had lab work done, was diagnosed with colitis and given subcutaneous fluid. Now he is back home on two antibiotics and a special dog food.
But while we were there we witnessed all kinds of pet maladies. The worst of which was a small dog that was attacked by a deer in its fenced backyard. We are assuming the dog died given the reaction of the family. We are thankful Rocky should be OK but upset for this poor family on a Sunday morning.

This entry was posted in Farm. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Day at the Emergency Veterinary Clinic

  1. sheepsclothing says:

    Poor Rocky. The emergency room is no fun. So glad it turned out to be something treatable. The thing about a deer attacking the small dog is really weird. Never occurred to me that a deer would do something like that….

    • Rocky is still pretty pitiful, and I won’t feel better until he is. But I am so glad we are not that other family there. Apparently it was a doe with a fawn, and the dog was barking at it. But she still jumped the fence and attacked him. Not a good weekend for them.

  2. Jody says:

    Sending hugs and good wishes for Rocky 🙂

  3. Thanks Jody.

  4. Teresa says:

    I certainly do hope Rocky feels better. I know how hard that is to be worried about a sick animal. I’m sure it was interesting to watch the emergency room. I got to job shadow a vet one afternoon, and it was pretty interesting.

    • Donna says:

      He did not get better so went back to the vet yesterday and they kept him. I am anxiously awaiting a progress report.

  5. Rocky is back home after being hospitalized since Monday morning. He still hasn’t been diagnosed as tests are still pending (for leptospirosis and erlichiosis), but he is on three different antibiotics, his fever is down, and his platelet counts are up. He is eating just a little but no more bloody diarrhea. He is acting more like his normal self, trying to get the bandage over the IV site off. It will be interesting trying to get three different pills down him twice per day, but we are thrilled to have him home again.

Leave a Reply