The Farm and Hay

So yesterday, after getting off of yet another tough night at work, I came home and did farm chores.  I was planning to go to bed, but our farrier returned my calls and could come trim the donkey hooves right now.  So I put on farm clothes and got to the donkeys right as she arrived.  Their hooves got trimmed and are looking better, so that is good news.  Since I was already in the barnyard with barn clothes, I continued with chores.  I caught the remaining chicks in the weasel-proof pen and moved them to the netted “pheasant pen”.  Initially they were scared to come out of their kennel that I moved them in, but today they were out.  I did shore up some of the fencing holes so they hopefully will not escape except under duress.

chicks in netted pheasant pen

I have been noticing that the mioget sheep have been blending into the pastures recently.

sheep blending into pasture

We (mostly Tom) has been struggling with hay making recently.  He cut our hay field on June 23.

And here it is that day.  cut grass for hay

He has raked the hay three times and now it is dry.  Unfortunately, the baler is still not working as far as tying and cutting the knots for the bales.  Here is the apparatus in action, trying to figure out where the problems lies.

A piece broke around the time so we gave up.  So it looks like for now we will gather the hay by hand into poly bags for storage.  It is looking less likely that this baler will work for us.  But at least we have some hay, hopefully.

This entry was posted in Farm. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to The Farm and Hay

  1. Denise says:

    dag. sorry to hear about the baler troubles, we don’t have any experience with that kind of machinery. I wonder if there is any documentation online (tech manuals?)

  2. Jeanne says:

    Ratzenphooies! I’m so sorry about that rascally baler! I hope Tom will be able to fix it. I hate to think of you having to bag all that hay by hand, though.

    I remember one time, when I was young, having to climb onto the chopped hay which my dad and uncle were stacking. I had to walk around to pack it down! They had some kind of lathe-work around it, and would raise it occasionally, as the stack got higher. It was NOT a fun job! I think that was the only time they did that.

    Have a good day, my dear friend.

    • Donna says:

      The baler is a rascal and giving Tom all kinds of grief. We are bagging it all by hand though. Lots of work. That is quit a story about you packing the hay down. Sounds kind of scary. Glad it was only once!

      • Jeanne says:

        It wasn’t really scary, packing that haystack, but it was rather miserable. I survived, and was also glad that I didn’t have to do it again. I think my dad and uncle decided it wasn’t worth it. My dad wasn’t much of a farmer, and my uncle wasn’t much better. They both had jobs in town.

        It wasn’t so hot today – “only” 92 degrees. That sure beats 100+ for sure, though!

      • Donna says:

        Glad you survived. You sure remember it though. Nice that it is cooler. Much more enjoyable with reasonable temperatures.

Leave a Reply