So yesterday, after getting off of yet another tough night at work, I came home and did farm chores. I was planning to go to bed, but our farrier returned my calls and could come trim the donkey hooves right now. So I put on farm clothes and got to the donkeys right as she arrived. Their hooves got trimmed and are looking better, so that is good news. Since I was already in the barnyard with barn clothes, I continued with chores. I caught the remaining chicks in the weasel-proof pen and moved them to the netted “pheasant pen”. Initially they were scared to come out of their kennel that I moved them in, but today they were out. I did shore up some of the fencing holes so they hopefully will not escape except under duress.
I have been noticing that the mioget sheep have been blending into the pastures recently.
We (mostly Tom) has been struggling with hay making recently. He cut our hay field on June 23.
And here it is that day.
He has raked the hay three times and now it is dry. Unfortunately, the baler is still not working as far as tying and cutting the knots for the bales. Here is the apparatus in action, trying to figure out where the problems lies.
A piece broke around the time so we gave up. So it looks like for now we will gather the hay by hand into poly bags for storage. It is looking less likely that this baler will work for us. But at least we have some hay, hopefully.