So Tom had brought home chunks of “free” concrete his old boss was tearing out of his property. We use these to stabilize the mud at the gates. It seems to work better than anything else we have found so far in our peaty soil. So since we needed to pick up hay and the concrete chunks were on the trailer we use for hay, we were motivated to move these chunks. Above are some of them placed at one of the gates. Naturally we had just had a downpour so there’s extra water.
After multiple trips and a lot of heavy lifting we were left with even larger chunks of concrete still on the trailer. Tom tried to use a sledge hammer to break it up into manageable sizes but after 20 hard hits one piece broke into two. At this point we gave up. We will be hiring either a son or a jack hammer to break up the rest. And we decided to use our “snowmobile” trailer to pick up the hay.
So we went out to a farm in Lyman that had hay advertised. It was cut, tetted and baled with horses. The barn they had the hay in was gorgeous! It was built in 1915 with old growth timbers. It is in remarkably good shape and quite large. Thankfully we have a historic barn restoration fund in our county, and the owner had used to funds to help repair and preserve this lovely structure. So we loaded 20 bales onto this back-up trailer and got it home