Here is some of the maple sap I collected from our trees. It wasn’t much this year, probably because I started late this year.
I boiled it down, trying to male it sweet so I could make root beer with it. I knew it would make so little maple syrup that it wasn’t worth the effort.
It finally got sweet when I got it down to about 3 cups. I managed not to get a photo of it at that point, but it was mildly amber in color. It was a little sweet but had a woodsy flavor too. I used this extract to make the root beer today.
I am feeling quite ill today. My best guess is that the extra energy used for sheep maintenance flared my symptoms. So I did the chores this morning, just because I still want some exercise. But I decided to take it easier this afternoon, and kitchen projects seemed like a good choice.
I used some Red Star white wine yeast. I added no other sweetener. Here it is all bottled. It should be ready in 2 1/2 weeks.
After the root beer I decided to make Hot Chocolate Bombs. I didn’t have round silicon molds so I used the heart shaped molds I recently bought for the Swedish Hearts. I bought dark chocolate chunks just because I was trying to make it dairy free. I tempered the chocolate in the microwave and then painted the insides of the molds with the chocolate.
I did the three layers but was nervous about getting them out of the molds. I found this site about how to get chocolate out of silicone molds without breaking. So I put the mold in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Then I figured out that to get them out you peel the mold away from the chocolate rather than pulling or pushing the chocolate from the molds. I accidentally broke two of the molds while I was learning this.
Here are the unbroken molds flipped over.
Then the next issue was the hot cocoa mix. I wanted it to be dairy free, but the ones in the store were all dairy except one which was terribly expensive. So I used this Simple Hot Cocoa for One recipe and made my own mix. I used 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder and 1.5 tables of sugar per serving. But I wanted vanilla but didn’t think liquid vanilla would work. So I pulled out my vanilla sugar leftover from my Swedish cooking frenzy. I substituted some of the sugar with the vanilla sugar.
So I filled the molds with the cocoa mix, mini marshmallows and some sprinkles.
I tried to fix the broken molds with some more tempered chocolate and refrigerator time. Then I sealed them with melting the edges and then I added extra tempered chocolate with my finger to the joint. I used the little leftover chocolate to dribble on top and added some more sprinkled there.
Here they are looking a little more pretty.
So here is the bomb placed in heated almond milk.
It didn’t “bomb” like I had hoped. I am thinking that the milk could have been hotter and maybe that would have helped. It was also incredibly chocolatey. I had to add more milk because it was so strong and thick. When I try the next bomb I will try hotter and more milk. It was fun but a lot of work for not much excitement. Probably won’t be doing again unless I can get it to bomb better.
Obligatory Ryeleigh photos:
I think I nailed it in the first photo. In the second one, she is bagging for pepperoni as Tom makes pizza. She didn’t get any either.
Here is a jigsaw puzzle with the first photo: