Our 20th Winthrop Blues

This is the twentieth time we have attended the Winthrop Rhythm and Blues.  I am counting the one year I didn’t go due to pregnant cows, but Tom went.  And I am also counting the two virtual years.

Thursday morning after we had the cow sprayed and the final items packed, we headed over North Cascades Pass.  One of our entourage was following behind with his cool vintage VW van.  I noticed quite a bit of fireweed where the forest had burnt previously (which is likely why it is called fireweed).

We got our camping spot with some shade and big enough to accommodate the 7 rigs total in our group.  A dip in the river was in order.

In the confusion, I managed to forget our steaks.  So Friday morning Tom kindly took his Honda Trail 90 to town and bought some flank steaks.  I then made up the marinade.  The steaks turned out really well.  They are not as good as Don’s but still very edible.

Friday morning there was a mad scramble for seat spots.  These are our blankets in the foreground.  It was farther forward than I usually like, but what was left.  Thankfully the mister was nearby.

One thing about the campground is that there are fascinating vintage rigs.  This was my favorite (and others’ as well).

Friday afternoon the river was filling in.

Then it was time for everyone in the group to get more acquainted.

We had gone to town to get some lunch and do some shopping.  One of our group came back with this wonderful frog.  He is guarding the watermelon.

Then the music started.  At 6:30 Jackie Venson started us off.  And I got to see Anne dance again.  With all of her health issues I was starting to think I would never see her again, much less dancing.  It was so incredibly wonderful to see this again.

Part of our group enjoying the show.

I felt bad for the grasshoppers.  Imagine have a peaceful grassy meadow and then all of a sudden there are blankets and chairs everywhere.  This guy bonked against a chair with one of his hops.

Next came our longtime favorite, Tom Slim and the Taildraggers.  He played some of the old classics which was great.

I was tired so headed back to camp to sleep.  Tom went with my brother and Sue to check out the beer garden jam.

Saturday morning started with Tevis Hodge Jr.  He was wonderful to listen to.  And he had a cool vintage case for his CDs.

Next was The Paperboys who were a last minute substitution for an artist who became ill.  They were one of my favorite acts of the whole festival.  Plus when the PA system went out, they did not skip a beat.  They all switched to acoustic instruments, and we came up to hear them.  It was really fun.

Next was Eddie 9V.  He had the habit of playing to his bandmates rather than the audience but is obviously an amazing musician.  Tom and Anne really enjoyed him.

It was hot out.  The mister came in handy.

Unfortunately we had to skip Rick Estrin to get some dinner.  We reassembled after to see Ruthie Foster who is still an amazing singer.


Then came the North Mississippi Allstars.

Then came the headliner, Christone “Kingfish” Ingram.  He is a truly amazing guitarist that seems to be only getting better every time we see him.


We headed to the beer garden for the jam but left fairly quickly as it seemed like what we have heard before.

Sunday morning started with Tevis again.  But then he was joined by Lady A and Ruthie Foster for some gospel music.

Next came Stephanie Anne Johnson.  She was really fun.

The Zydeco band couldn’t make it so they had Polly O’Keary substitute in.  We were all a little weary of the heat so headed back to camp missing her and Yates McKendree.  One thing I did this trip was make cocktails for whoever in our group wanted one each day around 5:00.  Sunday was Oaxacan Old Fashioneds.  The other days were Lost Boys, December 5th and Harvey Wallbangers.

This is the view of our van after three days of camping.

We did get back in time for the end of the set of Judith Hill.  She sounded amazing so I wished I could have seen more.


The final act on the main stage was Marc Broussard.  He provided us with some soulful Louisiana music.

Then we headed to the beer garden jam with some from our crew.  They had Stephanie Anne Johnson join in which was amazing.  Tom and I managed to stay until the end around midnight.


This morning we got up relatively early, packed up and were heading out by 9:00.  There is a lot to do on the farm this time of year so we had to get back to it.  I believe all had a good time, and it was nice to relax with friends and family, listening to great music.

This entry was posted in Trips. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Our 20th Winthrop Blues

  1. Washe Koda says:

    Oh for cool 😉

  2. Jeanne says:

    I’ve look through this on my Kindle Fire tablet a couple of times, and noticed several photos were blacked out, or at least their space was. I can see and understand that y’all had a wonderful time. I’m glad Anne was there, too. I’m assuming that her husband was with her. I must confess that I’m not a fan of blues music. Please don’t be offended. I was raised with classical music, and it’s still my favorite. I’m happy for you that you were able to go.

    • Jeanne says:

      I didn’t mention that all of the pictures were visible on my laptop, which I’m using right now.

    • Donna says:

      I am not offended. If there weren’t different tastes in music, there wouldn’t be so much diversity in it. Jeff was there as well. He was an Angel taking care of Anne so we were able to thank him. Sorry some of the photos didn’t come through for you.

Leave a Reply