The camo sweater is finally done. It has been years in the making. First I purchased a Bernat Urban Camouflage pattern book in June 2008. I then asked Tom what he would like me to make from it. He chose the hooded sweater- the biggest project in the book. I did not like the way their yarn looked in the sweater because it was not a true camo pattern. So I started to hunt for yarn to use. I could use our wool for the natural colors but I needed olive green. I purchased an olive green dye at Black Sheep Gathering in 2008 for this purpose but when I used it, the yarn came out an orangey brown. So back to the drawing board. Then when we in the Shetland Islands at Jamieson’s spinning mill there was a package of yarns called Leafy Trails that had quite a bit of olive green but also other colors. This was in May 2009. I then decided to use an intarsia technique for the first time to make the camo pattern and pixelated a photo of our camo sheets to make the pattern. So then I was off.
I had the vest portion completed by hunting season 2010. I thought he might want a hunting vest but he said no, he would wait for the whole sweater. I was trying to get it done by the hunting season of 2011 but did not make it. The finishing took a lot longer than I thought it would. So today I finally sewed the zipper on it and it is done!